Sunday, February 12, 2012

No news is Good news

I suppose it's been about a week since I've updated you all on my life but I have limited interesting things to share. 


Last week started out very slow with the snow - it's funny seeing their reaction to it because they simply don't know how to handle it.  I would estimate no more than 2 inches had fallen - which resulted in no buses for the day & public school cancellations.  No one owns a shovel so snow & ice still remain on sidewalks & driveways.  But it has been sunny everyday since & gradually becoming warmer & the snow is slowly disappearing. 
Our water pipes also froze & bursted Thursday night causing a nice thick layer of ice on the driveway & no water Friday morning.  My host mother did not handle this situation very well - she was very upset & was bringing snow in from outside & melting it on the stove for water! Once I saw her reaction doing this, I thought maybe it would take awhile to get fixed, but the man came about 11 a.m. Friday morning & literally took 5 minutes. 

The end of my week ended on a very high note (aside from the water problem).  I had a meeting Friday afternoon with the director of the international program.  He is from the States & just moved here 7 months ago with his family to take this job.  I received an apology for the confusion of the start-date with an explanation (simply they had to push the date back a month because of an issue.)  He has had dealings with Shippensburg in the past in regards to the AACSB accredidation.  & shared some interesting stories he has encountered since h'es been here. Overall it was a nice meeting & he took me to lunch along with another international coordinator.  I had also met a professor here from Colorado with 20 of his own students.  He is traveling to Normandy next week with his students & invited me to go along.  I will find out tomorrow if there is enough room.  If I do go, we will leave Wednesday afternoon and return Friday evening & is about a 5 hour bus ride. 
Also, in the beginning of all this school business, we were told to check our schedule everyday for changes - there is nothing ever permanent here - & it has changed already to my first business class starting this Monday the 13, rather than next Monday.  But only is Monday & Tuesday this week (just luck the trip to Normandy coordinated).  & also as of now, my one saturday class I had scheduled from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. has been switched so hopefully I don't get another Saturday class!

I hope all is well in the States - RIP to Whitney Houston,  I'm fully aware Shippensburg University has been on the news lately - no comment about that, & the good news is - 13 weeks until my return! & if you ask me for my address, I'll tell you where to send my valentines...

Bonne journée!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you're having cool experiences, and that you have a very good attitude to all the changes and unexpected stuff that's been happening. Enjoy your time there, Cally...and Happy Valetine's Day on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete